When it comes to pickled jalapenos, they do a ton of heavy lifting in the kitchen. On nachos? Yes, please! In chicken enchiladas? Oh, my. And in bread products?
Let’s talk about that.
Pickled jalapenos bring a bright tang and kiss of heat to these rich cheddar scones, and they pair beautifully with the chili powder, cumin, and hot smoked paprika too.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious bread product for a kicky kind of breakfast, or as a side for our turkey pumpkin chili or even our chicken and quinoa chili whip up a quick batch of these scones.
You’re going to love them!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red or yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chilled salted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar,
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pickled jalapenos
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup +2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fit a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, onion, baking powder, chili powder, and salt.
- When the mixture is well combined, add in the butter and using your fingers work them into coarse crumbs.
- Add in the cheese and jalapenos, and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the eggs, and ¾ cup cream.
- Stir the mixture until it just loosely holds together.
- Sprinkle bench flour on a work surface, and gently knead the dough until nearly smooth.
- Pat it out to an 8-inch circle.
- Using a bench scraper or knife, divide the circle into 8wedges.
- Place the scones on the prepared sheet pan.
- Brush the tops with remaining heavy cream.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly when inserted into the center.
These scones are fantastic served warm from the oven! But, you can refrigerate them for up to 3 days, and just reheat them in a 300 degree oven.