It’s happening, folks! We’ve made it into May! And with May, comes all sorts of wonderful greens. Tatsoi, spinach, arugula, all the things that my salad spinner yearns for all winter long.
But, there’s a catch. It’s early in the season, and we’re not quite hitting the stride of getting an abundance of getting those fresh greens yet.
However, we do have a lovely metaphorical trapeze swing to get us into fresh greens season.
And kale combined with an insane amount of lemon and parmesan with a soupçon of pepitas is just what the lady ordered.
Kale is a cold weather crop, so it’s still brimming with flavor in early spring. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking other types of greens that you get in aisle one of the grocery store, but kale just really seems to make my salad spinner happy while it waits for warmer days, warmer nights, and greens, greens, greens.
Looking forward to warmer weather reminds me that this is one of my favorite meals on a horrifically hot summer night with just a good loaf of baguette for dipping and a big old salad.
Of course, it’s delicious on pasta, in a cold pasta salad, and chicken too.
Lemony Kale Pesto
- 2 cups packed curly kale, washed, and spun dry
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped yellow, or red onion
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salted pepitas
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Process until smooth.
- If you have any leftover pesto, give it a good glug of oliveoil to keep it all nice and green and pretty in the refrigerator for up to 3days.