This spring we started a new tradition in the homestead, “Classic Movie Night.” Every Sunday night I made us deep dish pizza, while we dimmed the lights and just watched some great movies. We started off with lots of Cary Grant, lots of Alfred Hitchcock, lots of noir. Which I loved.
But, poor Mom. After a few weeks of nothing but mystery and suspense, she said, “Maybe this week let’s try a comedy?” (A woman can only take so much noir.)
So, we jumped from black and white to color, and from 1940’s-1950’s, to the 1980’s with the Three Amigos. (As much as it pains me to admit this, but as a gen-xer, I guess we can consider the 1980’s to be “classic-adjacent” at this point.)
So, now our “Classic Movie Night” has morphed into whatever we deem a “classic” to be. Tonight, we’re watching Hidden Figures. (The movie about African American women mathematicians who worked for NASA and helped get us to the moon.) Since the movie takes place in the 1960’s, it just makes sense for me to make a classic chicken divan.
But, I want snacks too.
Yesterday at the farmers market, Mom scored us some beet greens.
And because chicken divan is so heavy, I thought I’d make us some ginger wasabi beet chips to lighten things up. Spicy, gingery, sesame-ey, and tamari-ey, these bad boys are going to be the perfect accompaniment to watching some bad ass female mathematicians!
Hello, Classic Movie Night!
Ginger Wasabi Beet Green Chips
- 2 cups beet greens, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon dried wasabi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fit a large, rimmed, sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the rinsed greens into a salad spinner, and spin dry.If any moisture remains, blot dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, tamari,wasabi, and ginger.
- Place the dried beet greens on the prepared sheet pan.
- Drizzle with tamari mixture, and using a spatula toss wellto coat.
- Bake for 5 minutes, and flip.
- Bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until they’re crisp.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!